Pages

Friday, September 22, 2006

Yon-Go Jeon: Day 2

Today was the first day of games between Yonsei and Korea. The event started with speeches from the respective school presidents, the mayor of the city, and other people I didn't recognize. It was hard to be interested because I didn't understand, but I knew it was a big deal.

The baseball game was extremely hot. I didn't catch much of the actual game because we spent the entire time from an hour before the game all the way through 'til the end doing our crazy cheers. Imagine a whole stadium of non-stop red and blue Cameron Crazies on crack. I was sweating so much. Yonsei won though (hooray!) 6-1.


Then we went to the Basketball game. Basketball and ice hockey were at the same time, so you had to pick one. The basketball game started an hour and a half late because Korea University wanted to negotiate the unfairness of one of our players. In the states this would never fly. If your players refuse to start for an hour and a half, that's called forfeiting.
The entire time Korea was complaining our players kept warming up and we just kept on cheering. By the time Korea decided to play our team was so tired. We ended up losing since we couldn't make the long balls and we weren't getting rebounds and our drives to the basket were unfruitful. In other words, we sucked (but only lost by 11). The stadium was still packed to the absolute brim, and it was a ton of fun.


Reportedly, Yonsei beat Korea 3-2 in ice hockey, which brings us to an intense final day. We only have to win either rugby or soccer to take the whole event, something our school has done the past two years.


I'm getting pretty good at the cheers, but my head is still throbbing, I can't hear for all the ringing, my throat is hoarse, and my arms ache. Bring it on Day 3!
앉고 서고 STOP!
뛰고 뛰고 뛰고 뛰고
앉고 서고 STOP!
뛰고 뛰고 뛰고 뛰고
소리치며 다시 한번 힘을 내서
뛰어라!!

2 comments:

  1. short guys playing B-ball... what what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was amusing watching the little Asians jump for baskets.
    There were no dunks the entire game.
    I think the hoops were lower than in the states too.

    ReplyDelete