Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

International

Let's pretend I've opened a fancy coffee shop in a trendy area of town. I give it a mysterious and undecipherable name like, say, Coffee Break: Season 1. Then I set about decorating. It's very modern, all white and black. I'm a cutting edge coffee shop owner, you see. I don't want a cozy nook for Yeats fans. Oh no. I'm creating a cool hang out for the urban youth of a globalized city, one that they will frequent with the same regularity with which they view their television shows. I know my audience: they like an international atmosphere. One way to achieve this is through clocks on the wall with times from the major cities of the world. Something that draws the coffee-sippers mind to other modern and fast paced locales that I'm surely associated and familiar with.

The problem: only one of the cities I have chosen can anyone recognize as a legitimate city, much less an urban hub.

From left: Thimbu, Yerevan, Santiago, Praha, Accra

I know that "Praha" is how the Koreans pronounce and thus anglicize "Prague," and Accra is a city somewhere in Western Africa, but Thimbu is flat out made up.

***Thanks to some fast response from followers, we have a complete list of the 5 cities whose times coffee drinkers need to be aware of: Thimbu, Bhutan; Yerevan, Armenia; Santiago, Chile; Prague, Czech Republic; Accra, Ghana***

No comments:

Post a Comment