Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Xavier

Since the move into the HaSook, there has been a shift in my social life. I have been much nearer to the school, so I've had more time for friends in the international community as well as Koreans who go to Yonsei. One of the most influential friends in the past two weeks has been Xavier.

Xavier is a political science and philosophy major from Ontario, Canada. Like most Canadians, he's one of the most liberal people you'll ever meet. The Democratic party in America is more conservative than the most conservative party in Canada. Unlike most Canadians, however, he's one of the smartest people you'll ever meet. I dare say smarter that me. He speaks French, Spanish, and is now taking Korean. He knows more about international politics, economy, and relations than I dare to challenge. Most often when politics comes up (outrageously frequently. I find that Canadians don't have that same taboo about religion and politics. Only religion.) I do my best to keep the prodding and disagreeing to a minimum because I just don't have enough facts to back myself up! I'm an ignorant American, but at least not as ignorant as most. The fact that I even have the half acceptance of the internationals is relieving. Most of the Americans have clustered together, having been intimidated out of the anti-American European crowd and not speaking the languages of the Asian blocs. I take this opportunity with Xavier as a chance to learn something about global economy and Canadian politics, two things that I previously thought uninteresting or nonexistent.

Xavier and I eat one meal a day together minimum. I help him study for Korean and he helps me understand certain political theories. I share Family Guy and he shares Borat. We have downright decent discussion for once. It's fantastic to not have to dumb myself down for a change. My friend in Mexico is struggling with separating Spanish words from English words, sometimes confusing the two ("I know it in Spanish, what is it in English?!?!"). I, on the other hand, am just watching my vocabulary slip away. Most often I don't have the Korean skills to express myself fully, but most people understand enough English for me to get my meaning better via that language. The downside is that I have to filter my own speech to the point where I feel as though I'm speaking to 1st graders all day long. I find that I totally blank on words more and more frequently. Xavier has been a breath of fresh, fluent English speaking air.

Maybe when I have an excuse to, I'll photograph Xavier so that you can have an accurate mental image.

1 comment:

  1. ah the good ol' dumb myself down for the non-native english speakers. isn't it fun?

    I too understand this feeling my friend.. I too... X_x

    ReplyDelete