Pages

Monday, September 05, 2011

My Tribute to a Week of American Food

As promised, I’m back to liven the mood of the blog. No more gloom and doom, no more lamenting what’s over. It’s time to turn my attentions towards what I have and what’s coming. In the spirit of this new outlook, I’m here to gloat to all my friends back home in Seoul about the foods that I’ve missed so desperately for two and a half long years. I give you my food binge of the past week.

Act 1: Ingredients
What’s that? Limes?

Unlimited, fresh, versatile limes!!!

Breads of all types, for all occasions.

Focaccia in olive oil and balsamic, buns for hamburgers, bagels or whole grain toast in the morning, crusty loaves for sandwiches, pita for dipping.

Local maple syrup.

It flows as abundantly as soju.

Raspberries in your face.

Throw them in vanilla yogurt with granola or bake them in a pie!

Garden fresh vegetables.

Literally picked all this with my mom from the garden in our yard*.

*yard: an expanse of grass that surrounds one’s house**.
**house: a Western-style building consisting of many officetel onerooms in which each individual room serves a designated purpose.

Act 2: Sides
Corn, done right:

On the cob with butter.

Veggie tray to the rescue.

It comes complete with bleu cheese dressing. Dill pickles and celery on request.

Salads everywhere!

No cabbage or pineapple dressing here, folks. Just vinegar based sauces, fresh vegetables and tomatoes, whole milk mozzarella cubes, cucumber from the garden, and happiness.

Mac’n’Cheese.

Is it even fair to show you cheap pasta covered in legendary white cheddar goodness and baked to a crisp in an oven? Is that cruel and unusual?

Act 3: Mains
Wing night at the house.

That means big, meaty drumsticks off the charcoal grill slathered in mango habanero sauce. Face-melting good!

More grilling goodness!


Chicken thighs and vegetable skewers. Note the eggplant, baby portabella mushrooms, and yellow squash.

Chili dogs.

Homemade slaw. Optional upgrade to Amish sausage. Don’t forget the diced jalapenos.

Breakfast of champions is not called Wheaties.

It’s called cheddar grits, eggs over easy, and spicy breakfast sausage. Good enough for any meal of the day.

Act 4: Dessert
Rasberry pie.

It’s all there needs to be and more.

I’d say I’m sorry, Korea, but I’m trying to lie less. I do wish that you all could have been here to share it. It’s been a truly stodgy week here in Michigan.

2 comments:

  1. AHHH. Looks freaking delicious, yet somehow I'm not that jealous. We miss you here very much and it's weird not having you around. We have to do things all by ourselves now. You will be happy and surprised to know that I ordered, successfully, for Emily, Sara and myself, twice. AND was able to translate. HA! who would have thought? Seems I WAS learning something being with you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! So proud! I knew you could do it. When others rely on you, your skills improve out of survival. Go Go SSSHING!

    ReplyDelete