Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Safe and Sound

For those of you who never even knew I was gone, forget I'm posting this, but for those of you who did know, I made it back in one piece. I came back from my week in the States with a new sense of peace, acceptance, and closure which I would have been hard pressed to reproduce on my own. Much family was seen, and luggage was carried instead of mailed. All good things.

However, every rose has its thorns. Did you know that if you are asleep on the plane when the meal lady comes around, you don't get a meal whether your tray is down or not??? Good thing someone packed me smoked turkey and cheddar with mustard on white. Stupid flight attendants.

I caught a glimpse of what life will be like for me coming back in 6 weeks and I didn't really like what I saw. I've lost most of my appetite for one. I can no longer eat the portions I used to, and I don't really want what food is around even when I am hungry. So much meat, so much dairy. I felt kind of sick all week. Big factor in my sickness #2: America is disgustingly fat, commercial, and wasteful. I was surprised (and a little bit disappointed in myself) that I haven't been shocked abut it my whole life, but I was in horror the whole ride back from the airport. Just gross.

So now I know for sure I'm definitely going to miss my regular eating habits and my economical environment, but something I was startled to discover was that I actually was uncomfortable being in an English environment. Not because I couldn't handle it, mind you, but because I could handle it. I could suddenly once again be held responsible for everything that was said around me! No more blissful ignorance! On the converse, everyone was able to understand me! There are no words to express how much I'm going to miss being the only one who can speak a language. I'm going to get myself in trouble on campus one day, walking behind some football player and then making some comment out loud about the speed at which we're walking. Yikes.

Speaking of school, it was depressing to be back on my once and future campus. How shallow everything there was. It felt the same way it feels to go back into your old high school after being out for a year. Everyone is dressed the same, every conversation is about something beneath you, uninteresting, unimportant. I am not excited about being back in that environment at all, but it has to be done I suppose. 2 more years until freedom.

Anyways, just letting everyone know that the wing wasn't violently ripped from the plane by a crosswind somewhere over the middle of the pacific. I did get a nice shot of Northern Canada though.

Only six more weeks of the adventure remain. Keep it real.

3 comments:

  1. 1. I'm glad you're home and safe!
    2. You, my friend, are going through "Culture Shock"-- some of your symptoms are temporary and others you may have for a good long while (see "Maturation"). Fortunately, you've gotta best friend who's already gone through it (ME!), and a pretty close friend who will be going through it with you at the same time (David ">_<" Noob the Boob).
    3. In summation, just as you have changed, the life you come home to CAN'T be the same (different person = different life). So, expect everything to change, and for people to think that you haven't. It'll be bumpy at first adapting to the newer version of Steven7.0, but don't worry. It'll all be over in mere months.
    4. You've got people who love you unconditionally at home, so don't think you'll be alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. aaaaaw
    2. aaaaaaaw
    3. aaaaaaaaaw
    4. aaaaaaaaaaaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm which one was steven 3.4 again? I forget... wait was that the one that crashed all the time? I think I liked 5.1 the best so far, but perhaps the new 7.0 version will be better...

    but I agree with you... even after 2 months away I felt what you felt... after a whole year I'm slightly scared :(

    ReplyDelete